|This article or section is incomplete. Please improve the article, or discuss the issue on the talk page.|
|This page falls under the scope of the Anniversary Update Project.|
|This article is about the quest White Balverine. For the creature of the same name, see Balverine.|
|Preceding||Find the Archaeologist|
|Trophies||White Balverine Head|
- No Protection
- Without a Scratch
Knothole Glade is having a problem with Balverines. When you arrive in the area, you’ll find that the village's front gate is locked, and that the village has been besieged by a handful of the werewolf-like creatures. After you’ve dispatched them, you’ll be allowed inside, and the village chief will tell you that the Balverines follow a powerful White Balverine.
Just then you’ll learn that the White Balverine is inside the village, and while the chief will claim that it’s attacking the warehouses, it’ll probably make a beeline straight for you. You’ll have to battle it, but you won’t be able to kill it yet. You’ll just have to hit it ten times to drive it off.
After the battle, the chief will come back over and tell you that the creature’s skin “is too tough even for you.” He’ll then suggest that you talk to the wife of the last man who killed a White Balverine. However, when you approach the wife’s house at the top of the hill, the White Balverine will attack you again, and you’ll have to hit it another ten times to drive it off.
After the battle, the wife will admit that the White Balverine is actually her husband -- or, rather, what’s left of him -- and she’ll give you a Silver Augmentation so that you can defeat it. All Balverines have a weakness to silver, but White Balverines are extremely weak to it. Conveniently, the White Balverine will take that opportunity to attack again, and this time you’ll only have to hit it five times (with any weapon) to drive it off.
After the battle, the chief will tell you that the White Balverine has its lair in Witchwood Lake, which means that you’ll have to travel to that area and face it one last time. Equipping a silver-augmented weapon will greatly increase the damage dealt to the creature. As the White Balverine takes damage, it will stop combat and howl, summoning more Balverines to aid it. These will have to be killed, either before or after the White Balverine is killed. When the White Balverine dies, it will drop the White Balverine Head, your trophy for the quest.
When you return to Knothole Glade, the chief will be very pleased to see you, and he’ll tell you that you’re now famous enough to enter the Arena. He’ll also give you Theresa's Letter and a book entitled The Bloodline. They’ll describe how you’re a member of the ancient bloodline and how there’s a link between you and the Sword of Aeons.
- In Fable, this quest presents one of only two opportunities to gain a White Balverine as an ally using the Summon spell, the other being in the Arena. [Killing 1019 guards in a row without leaving Oakvale, triggers an Easter Egg that changes all the guards into White Balverine guards, providing another opportunity to gain a White Balverine as your summoned creature.]
- In Fable Anniversary, this quest gets bugged if you gain the White Balverine using the Summon spell.
- In the final confrontation, even if the White Balverine is killed in one hit, more Balverines will still appear.
- You have a line-of-sight to the White Balverine before he can see you so you can charge up a Skorm's Bow and kill him in one hit before he even notices you.
- White Balverines take +500% damage per silver augmentation, so with 3 you could kill it in a single hit with even the weakest Master weapon.
- When talking to Whisper in the Arena Waiting Room, her dialogue implies that she was also on the White Balverine quest, but you beat her to it.