WARNING: This section or article may contain spoilers!
|Class||Large, Auroran, Shadow|
|Related Quests|| Darkness Incarnate|
Do the Ends Justify the Means?
- "The dark guardian shall come and protect us..."
- — The Crawler
Sentinels are a type of enemy in Fable III. Sentinels are large statues of hooded, winged figures that come alive when possessed by the Crawler's darkness. A sentinel's main weapon is a large staff that is capable of releasing a blast of magical energy that can repel the Hero in a manner similar to force push. Even if the Crawler has been defeated, these creatures can still summon Shadows in pairs out of pools of black darkness
Direct tactics of assault are ineffective in engaging the Sentinel, as even the most powerful weapons and attacks in the game the Sentinel can withstand to a marked degree. Every encounter with a Sentinel is a frenetic, asymmetric combat scenario where the Hero must rely on evasive movements decisively, necessarily, owing to the Sentinel's possession of unique destructive powers, while somehow still dealing damage in some way, engaging the foe from long-range guerrilla-style, or otherwise unleashing damage in some creative, intelligent manner in the frantic skirmish where frontal assault equals failure.
Sentinels can notably also be encountered in the Shifting Sands and the Veiled Path, where they generally appear among groups of Dark Minions, as if leading the monsters. The Veiled Path in particular and ifs sub-region of the Enigma, upon consecutive visits, can feature a surprising and overwhelming number of Sentinels, groups attacking at the same time - an experience for the Hero no other place affords.
- They are classed as large enemies and Auroran enemies for any upgrades on legendary weapons.
- Although they have wings, they are never seen flying, perhaps due to the great weight of their "bodies."
- One of its attacks has ravens coming out of the ground causing damage to the Hero. In folklore, ravens are signs of darkness.
- Depictions of hooded, winged figures are quite prevalent in Auroran culture. Besides the Sentinels themselves, similar statues of varying sizes (including the statue of Tannar the Great found during the quest A Relic of Ages Past) can be found throughout Aurora, and the Auroran back tattoo is a hooded figure with wings.