|This page falls under the scope of the Anniversary Update Project.|
|Reward||100 Gold+ 15000 gold (If you marry Lady Grey)|
Receive an invitation to the mayor's office. Encounter the flirty Lady Grey.
This quest can be started after you finish the Arena (regardless of whether or not you chose to kill Whisper). Head to Bowerstone North and talk to Lady Grey (she is near the entrance to Bowerstone Manor).
During this quest, you are tasked to bring Lady Grey a Black Rose, owning a house and finding her necklace. To find the necklace, talk to the people in Bowerstone North. One of them will tell you that he has seen it in Oakvale. Then go to Memorial Garden through Oakvale to find two men acting suspiciously. Sneak around them to the other side of the stone wall to overhear one of them say to the other that the necklace is buried between the two boats on the beach in Oakvale. Go there and dig it up (you can dig it up right after talking to Lady Grey; you don't actually need to talk to the townspeople or overhear the traders). Finally, you must dual Thunder for the right to take the hand of Lady Grey. Once over, you may marry her without buying a ring. You will also receive 15,000 gold in dowry.
Duel with Thunder
Take the north exit out of Bowerstone North and there will be a cutscene of thunder telling you to meet him at Headsman's Hill. When you get there, there's another cutscene and he'll have a crowd gathered to watch the duel.
He uses mostly melee with the occasional magic attack. His melee attacks consist of: a punching attack if you're very close, a normal slashing attack if you're regular distance, and a spinning attack if you're reasonably far from him. All his melee attacks will knock you down even if you're blocking, but blocking will still drastically reduce damage (by about 98%). They also have a high chance of missing even when you're standing still and are otherwise easy to dodge.
He also has two Will attacks, Battle Charge (seemingly level 2, but doing slightly more damage) and a Lightning attack that the Hero can't access. When using his lightning attack, he lifts his sword in the air and lightning emanates in many directions from it, rotating around him. Despite its appearance it'll usually only hit you once. When using it, he will be invulnerable to melee attacks and you'll be slightly damaged and knocked down if you try. You can either hit him with a bow or with your own lightning. Shooting him with a bow will cause him to block the arrow and restart his lightning attack, unless you hit him on his sword side or in the back in which case it'll do damage and cancel his attack. Using your own Lightning will always cancel his attack.
Thunder is extremely good at blocking, even blocking melee attacks from behind. He'll also block bow attacks from his shield side or front, but not from his sword side or back. If you're using melee, you'll have to defeat him using flourishes, or if you have access to it, even with the first level of Berserk you'll always hit him. He has decent resistance against both bow and will attacks and is affected by Piercing augmentations to the same extent as Sharpening ones.
After getting him to half health, he'll knock you off a cliff into a new area, where the fight will resume. After getting him down to 25% health he'll run into the nearby cave and the fight will finish there. Aside from new areas there appears to be no difference in his combat behaviour. When you defeat him, he'll give you his helmet and leave.
If you complete Investigating the Mayor after marrying her, she will immediately confiscate the evidence from you and prevent you from exposing her. If you complete it before marrying her, you will have the option of handing over the evidence to her or exposing her crime. If you give the evidence to her, you may skip all the way to the duel with Thunder. If you expose her crimes, she will run away and you will become Mayor of Bowerstone.
If you talk to the woman who helps you woo Lady Grey, she will be sad about her loneliness and tell you that you and Grey will be happy together. After that, you will be given the option to ask her to marry. If you do, she will get the golden heart status, allowing you to let her follow you somewhere you own a marital home and finally proposing. She gives you no dowry. By asking for her hand in marriage, both the Mayor's Invitation and Investigating the Mayor quests will fail.
- In Fable: TLC and Fable Anniversary, the last opportunity to abandon your courtship of Lady Grey and complete Investigating the Mayor comes just after defeating Thunder but before speaking to Lady Grey. This will allow you to access Headsman's Cave and the Silver Key there, but still permits you to expose Lady Grey. Speaking to her and declining her offer of marriage will not work, and will simply prevent you from completing either quest.
- In Fable: TLC and Fable Anniversary, if Thunder has already been killed as part of the Souls of Heroes quest, then Lady Grey's offer of marriage will come when the Hero returns her necklace.
- Even if the Hero divorces Lady Grey the demon door will still open and Lady Grey will still take the note from completing the Investigating the Mayor quest.
- If you killed Whisper, most of Thunder's lines will be about him wanting vengeance instead of all about Lady Grey.
- Unused text entries and cutscene scripts for the Mayor's Invitation Quest implies that Lady Grey wanted you to kill Thunder to marry her, at one point in the game's development. This could explain the blood that is seen on the trophy version of his helmet.
- Fable TLC Prima Official Guide, chapter 4, section "THE MAYOR’S INVITATION SIDE QUEST"