|Type||Online Action/Strategy RPG|
Xbox Closed Beta
16 Oct 2014 - 13 Apr 2016
Fable Legends was a cancelled installment in the Fable series developed by Lionhead Studios, It's initial release window was 2015. however was later pushed back until 2016, and then 2017. Eventually, development on the game was cancelled on 7th March 2016. Shortly following the cancellation, Lionhead Studios would also close.
Microsoft allegedly invested so much money into the project (around $75 million), that Fable Legends became one of the most expensive cancelled games ever produced. 
The Fable Legends closed beta officially ended at 3 pm on Wednesday, 13th April 2016.
The game would have been set 400 years before the events of the first game, in a time before the Heroes' Guild was founded. Heroes are common, but the people of Albion are only just learning what a true Hero can be. During this time in Albion's history, an ancient artifact exists called "the moon on the stick", an artifact that the children of Albion once made wishes to. The heroes in Fable Legends are on a quest to locate this artifact.
Fable Legends was a MOBA-Esque player-created dungeon crawler, where heroes could "queue" for villain created "quests" and if the villain was defeated, the heroes would be awarded both gold and experience. which they could spend on their hero's weapons, looks, armor, abilities, and more within the hub-city of Brightlodge.
It was based around five players: four heroes, and a villain. Players would begin In the hub-city of Brightlodge, where they had the opportunity to partake in jobs, play mini-games, or enjoy pub games. Once the player selected a quest, they would immediately be sent out into the world.
During a quest, The villain player would dictate and control the nature of the quest that the heroes would embark upon. this included where enemies would spawn, how aggressive they were when the boss would come lumbering out of its lair when to bring down an impassable portcullis, or lay a trap to separate heroes from each other to thwart them. The villain earned points over time, which could be spent on additional units. The AI-controlled the heroes in the absence of a human player.
There were four original playable heroes, all of which appeared in the announcement trailer. Others were revealed as the beta testing continued.
It did not have features such as the purchase of property or morphing due to alignment, etc. However, like other games in the franchise, heroes could also use expressions to interact with villagers in the hub-city of Brightlodge.
It was unknown if the game featured "story quests" or a branching narrative. This would have been unlikely for a game of this type.
The game heavily utilized Xbox One SmartGlass features. and this was the intended tool for the Villain in designing their quests. This was comparable to the way Fable: the Journey heavily utilized Kinect. And seemed less as a decision from the developer, and more as a hard-requirement from Microsoft.
Fable Legends would have supported cross-device play between Xbox One and Windows 10 PC.
Fable Legends would have been a "service-based" game, and wouldn't have supported offline play. Single-player-quests accompanied by AI characters would have been a possibility, but players required a persistent internet connection and an Xbox Live Gold membership in order to play.
The game would have seemingly had an optional full-price purchase option. However the game would have been free-to-play, and once released, would have rotated free playable characters periodically, comparable to a MOBA. The player would have had the option to purchase additional heroes at any time through either in-game gold or real-world currency.
Lionhead stated that the game's storyline and all of its quests would have been accessible without the need to engage in microtransactions, and things which would've affected gameplay could be earned by playing the game.
- Operating System: Windows Vista 32-Bit with Service Pack 2 and the KB971512 platform update
- Processor: AMD Athlon X2 2.8 GHZ or Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHZ
- Ram: 4GB or more
- Free Hard Drive Space: 10GB
- Processor: AMD Athlon X2 2.8 GHz or higher; Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 GHz or higher
- Graphics Card: AMD Radeon 3870 or higher; NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT or higher
- Fable Legends FAQ at Lionhead Forums
- gamescom: Be the Hero or Villain in Fable Legends for Xbox One at Xbox Wire
- Fable Legends Website
- 2016-03-07, Fable developer Lionhead Studios to shut down. Eurogamer, accessed on 2016-03-07
- 2013-08-20, Gamescom: Fable Legends is Fable, But With Friends. IGN, accessed on 2013-08-20
- 2013-08-23, Visit the Age of Heroes with Fable Legends. The Dead Hamster, accessed on 2013-09-03
- 2013-09-13, The Lion's Den: Meet The New Team Behind Fable Legends. Games Industry International, accessed on 2013-09-15
- 2015-05-22, So no offline mode? Lionhead Studios Forum, accessed on 2015-05-29
- 2015-12-23, Fable Legends Microtransaction Pricing Revealed - Report. GameSpot, accessed on 2015-12-24