|Fable (Playground Games)|
|Type||Action Role Playing Game|
|Publisher||Microsoft Game Studios|
|Platform||Xbox Series X/S|
Development[edit | edit source]
In early 2018 rumors existed that Fable IV was currently in development by Playground Games. An Xbox Live API leak confirmed that a Fable related project codenamed Wisdom was being developed by a UK based studio. Allegedly the success of the PS4 title, Horizon: Zero Dawn inspired Microsoft to produce a suitable, competing, singleplayer RPG title.
A former Lionhead Lead Engine Programmer, Don Williamson, who worked on both Fable I and II, posted on Twitter that he’d worked out which studio was "currently working on Fable IV", stating that he believed it to be an "interesting choice". This tweet has since been deleted.
PlayGround Games then recruited a senior game designer for the purpose of producing an "AAA open-world RPG" which would strongly suggest they were entering the development process. This was later confirmed at E3 2018, however, "for a "brand new game."
The game was formally announced with a cinematic trailer in July, 2020.
Facts[edit | edit source]
Although little is currently known about Fable, it is possible to confirm some things from the trailer:
- The trailer opens with a moss-covered sword, the hilt of which shows the Guild seal. This suggests that the Heroes Guild has existed within this timeline.
- The narrator uses the phrase "Legendary heroes", which suggests that the Heroes Guild has existed for some time.
- The Guild logo is not exclusive to the guild. The Sword of Aeons (Obtained by William Black from Jack of Blades) has the Guild Seal symbol on it, this sword was stolen long before the guild had ever been established.
Speculation[edit | edit source]
Logical theories with facts taken into consideration, if Fable takes place in the same continuity as previous releases:
- Fable could potentially be set during the "Fall of the Guild" time-period of the Fable chronology, between Fable and Fable II.
- Fable cannot be set during the "Establishment of the Guild" time-period. (Following Age of Archons) due to the existence of Bowerstone Castle, which only exists after the events of Fable
- Notably, there are no factory fumes or other signs of industrialization in Bowerstone, which would suggest that the game will take place prior to Fable III.
- There is no Spire in the far distance, suggesting that it has not yet been constructed by the Archon, nor been reconstructed by Lucien.
If Bowerstone Castle exists and the game follows the existing timeline, the following things would also exist:
- Bowerstone Castle was constructed on the burnt down site of Bowerstone Manor. This would confirm that the game takes place post-Fable 1
- Leo Head The constructor of Bowerstone Castle. (Either as the current resident, or deceased)
- Bowerstone Current ruler unknown. Most likely: Leo Head or Fairfax family.
- Magdalena The wife of Nostro one of Bowerstone's earliest mayors (Deceased)
- Lady Grey One of Magdalena's great great great descendants (Deceased)
If the Heroes Guild exists and the game follows the existing timeline, the following things would also exist:
- The Court (Jack, Queen, Knight)
- Sword of Aeons (stolen from Jack of Blades by William Black)
- William Black/Scythe and the Archons
- The Spire (constructed by Archons, used to make the first wish, destroying both the Old Kingdom and itself until the events of Fable II)
- The Darkness (separated from William Black, imprisoned in Aurora until the events of Fable III)
- The Old Kingdom (Destroyed after first wish)
- Nostro (The first Guild Master, mentored by Scythe) (Deceased)
- Potentially elements from the cancelled Fable Legends project, which takes place immediately after the Fall of the Old Kingdom